Monday, December 13, 2010

Vessels that Echo the Natural World

I just finished installing a new exhibition in SCC's Satellite Gallery in downtown Pittsburgh. The show is called Ron Layport: Vessel Narratives and includes 12 pieces by local artist Ron Layport. 

I have been installing exhibitions at this gallery for about two years. It's a strange but very neat place, part underground, part above ground. It's filled with light and always bustling with foot traffic as it is in the lobby of the Steel Plaza T-station. I love being at the gallery, which is basically a 3-foot deep window display ( there is no public access), because I can work quietly and at my own pace to hang shows. It kind of feels private when behind the glass, but it is an incredibly pubic space. I can watch all manner of folks strolling, or running, to and from the train, and they can watch me hammer nails and adjust lighting. When I need to take a step back and look at the display I end up talking with passers-by and they always tell me how much they enjoy the shows here, how much it brightens their morning to be able to see such amazing art on their daily commute. 

Most of the time I am installing alone. Last week I had the pleasure of the artist's company for two full days. Ron was just as floored by the space as I am—it exceeded his expectations. The fact that all kinds of people pass by, not just museum goers, was not lost on him and he seemed to really enjoy chatting with folks as he used his hands to direct me in lighting his work. I can say with out a doubt that this current show is one of the most spectacular I have installed in this space. The works take full advantage of the light and the space. Below are some choice shots from the show. The full exhibition is also on our website where you can read more about the artist, a fellow Pittsburgher and all around awesome guy!




No comments:

Post a Comment